Zinio Getting Started Guide
To learn more about Zinio and how to use it please read the following instructions. Want to go straight to the collection? Access Zinio now.
What is Zinio?
Zinio is a platform that allows the Greater Sudbury Public Library to provide you with access to some of the world’s best magazines at no cost.
Some features of Zinio include:
- No waiting — new issues are released simultaneously with the print edition and are ready for immediate download
- Read anytime, anywhere — simply subscribe to the magazines you want to read and access them instantly, either on your computer (both PC and Mac) or on a portable device.
- No limits — check out as many issues as you want and keep them in your account as long as you wish.
Before You Begin
- Before beginning please ensure that you have a valid Greater Sudbury Public Library card. You will be asked for your library card number before signing-up: your library card number is the 14-digit (no spaces) barcode number on the back of your card. Learn more about getting a library card.
- Please also note that the Zinio platform requires an updated web browser to subscribe to and read magazines. If you have trouble accessing pages or receive errors, your web browser may be out of date. Try updating your browser or switch to a browser such as Firefox or Chrome.
- You will be need to create two separate accounts. The first account (an “RBdigital” account) will allow you to browse and subscribe to digital magazines in GSPL’s collection. The second account is a Zinio account which will allow you to actually read the magazines that you have subscribed to. If you already have a Zinio account you do not need to create an additional Zinio account, please just ensure that you use the same email address and password for both your Zinio account and your RBdigital account (steps 6 through 8 below).
- Once you have created a Zinio account you may also choose to purchase subscriptions to magazines that are not in the GSPL collection. You will then be able to read both your own purchases and your GSPL subscriptions through the same account, either in your web browser or on your portable devices.
- Go to the GSPL website (www.sudburylibraries.ca)
- Under the “Books and Much More” menu select “Digital Library”
- Select the “Digital Magazines” link or scroll down to “Digital Magazines”
- Under “Zinio” select “Access the Collection”
- On the following page select the Zinio box on the left-hand side of the page
- If you haven’t already created an account, select the “Create New Account” link in the top right-hand corner of the following page.
- You will be prompted for your library card number and then an email address and password. Please record the email address and password that you enter as you will need to use them again.
- Once you have created an account you will be automatically logged in to your new account. Please take some time to browse the available magazines. When you find a magazine that you would like to subscribe to select it from the list. Doing so will prompt you to confirm your checkout: select the “Confirm Checkout” button.
- After selecting “Confirm Checkout” a new window will open. If you already have a Zinio account select the “Sign In” button in the top right-hand corner. Otherwise, you will be prompted to create a Zinio account. Please enter the same name, email, and password that you used in Step 7. Select the “Register” button once the form has been completed. The magazine will be added to your library.
- You can read the magazines that you have subscribed to in your web browser by clicking on the covers. The magazine should open in a new window.
- To subscribe to further magazines simply return to the Zinio for Libraries page, select the magazine that you wish to subscribe to, and then select the “Confirm Checkout” button. You can subscribe to as many magazines in our collection as you wish with no charge.
Zinio on Mobile Devices
Zinio is currently compatible with Apple (iOS) and Android devices*. If you don’t own one of these devices you will need to read magazines using your Windows PC or Apple computer.
To read digital magazines on your tablet or smartphone first follow the steps above to create the necessary accounts. Next:
- Using your mobile device, open the app store for your specific device: on Apple devices this is the “App Store” app, on Android devices it is the “Google Play Store” app. Search for “Zinio,” select the Zinio app from the list of results and then select “download” or “install”.
- When installation is complete open the Zinio app. Sign in to the Zinio app with the same email and password used to create your Zinio account in the previous section. If you are not automatically prompted to sign-in look for the "Settings" menu (usually represented by an icon that looks like a gear).
- Once you have signed look for the "Read" tab along the bottom of the screen. This tab will show you all of the magazines that you have subscribed to. Read the magazine by clicking on the cover.
- Note that the tabs "Explore" and "Shop" will show you titles that may not be available through GSPL's collection of magazines: to read these titles you must purchase them.
* Please note that, due to technical limitations, the weekly magazines in our collection (i.e. Macleans, the Economist, etc.) may not be available on some devices (including the iPhone).